Caught in a battle of wills across the millennia, the time has come for each of these three witches to try and seize the ultimate power, with which they might defeat their foes and reign supreme. But! All their cupboards are bare, so they need you, Fag Enders, to restock their stores with ingredients.
Lacrimosa works from The Way of Shadow, a collection of deadly charms and grisly components, as she seeks to raise the dead. But first she must understand the rites of hell, learning from simple spirits and elder demons, before enslaving a living human to her will and sacrificing it to the gods. Only with their favour will she achieve her goal.
Morag works from Rites of the Dragon, full of fire and chaos, in her quest to bring a dragon to her cause. To hatch that dragon from an egg she must make her environment warm and welcoming, before invoking a fire sprite and protecting herself from danger. If the conditions are right, she will bring an unbeatable ally to her cause.
Vivia works from Natural Lore, a record of wonders earthly and fey, as she seeks to go back in time and end this terrible feud before it began. But first she must prepare herself for the journey, purifying her will and finding where she needs to go. With a disguise and a little help from King Oberon, though, she might just make it...
Who will you help? How will this battle end? Make creations which respond to ingredients for your chosen witch by 8pm BST 31 October. Whichever witch has the most spells completed by this point (or whoever completes their series first) will be victorious, and those who have created ingredients from her book will also be the winners. The Fag Ender who has made the most ingredients for the winning witch will be the greatest brewer of them all - and, naturally, win a fabulous prize...
- The ingredients for the spells are your prompts, but they must be taken from the three spell books (The Way of Shadow | Rites of the Dragon | Natural Lore). Each witch needs at least one example of each ingredient to complete an entire spell. Don't forget that each witch has some core ingredients which can recur in any of her spells and which will need replenishing (ie. that ingredient may need to be used as a prompt several times to complete the five spells).
- Responses should be posted to the community and linked in comments to this post, under the name of the witch and spell they belong to, so that everyone knows what's what. Yes, everyone is collaborating to stock these cupboards!
- When a witch's set of spells is complete, it is responses made for ingredients within her book which count as winning ingredients. This includes excess ingredients for the witch's store cupboard. Two spells for each witch require ingredients from other books, but these technically will not count as winning responses. Whether and when you choose to create these responses for your chosen witch is something to think about. We suggest you might like to trade your services with those working from another book...
- For some ingredients only certain types of response are allowed, as is stated in the books. Make sure to read carefully, because we will enforce this!
- Fag Enders can make creations for any ingredient in any spellbook - though for a chance of winning the prize you might like to concentrate on one out of the three.
- Any part of the ingredient name, subtitle, illustration or description might be used as a prompt, in any way. Maybe it's a physical object in a story, or the mood of some artwork, or you respond to the mythology. Anything goes, as long as it's Spuffy! And within our size limits...
- The challenge will close around 8pm BST on Halloween (31 October).
- Use your imagination and have fun!!!